The Bottom Line
- Quick and convenient
- No need to install software
- Labels of various colors and sizes available separately
- Requires six AAA batteries or optional power cord
- Limited editing functions (with included software)
- Brother P-Touch PT-1230 PC Label Maker
- PC-connectible label maker
- No software installation necessary
- USB connection (included)
Guide Review - Brother P-Touch PT-1230 PC Label Maker
This label maker (one of several from Brother) is simple, easy to use, and convenient. It doesn't have a built-in keyboard like the Brother PT-1280, but rather connects to a PC via USB. A rather basic graphics-editing program opens in which you can enter and edit text for your labels, and then print them out. There is no installation of software necessary, which makes the unit very convenient (and it can be used without administrative privileges).
There's not too much more to say about this little label printer. Labels look great and there are a variety of label sizes and colors available (but not included). If you need more serious graphics editing, free software is available through Brother, though it looked like overkill for this unit. For light labeling needs at home, the PT-1230 was just what I needed.