The Bottom Line
- Excellent, sharp color prints
- Large, easy to use touchscreen
- Manual duplexing
- Single paper tray with only 150 sheets
- Color laser multifunction printer
- Manual duplex printing
- Up to 12 pages per minute black, 8 pages per minute color
- 600 x 600 dpi resolution
- 150-sheet input tray
- USB, wireless, and network connectivity
- Compatible with most Windows systems; driver-only installs on Mac and various Linux distros
- Built-in 10/100 Ethernet and 802.11b/g/n wireless
- Copy speed: Black: up to 12cpm, Color: up to 8 cpm
- Scanner resolution: Optical: Up to 1200 dpi
Guide Review - HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw Color Multifunction Laser Printer
The print quality was uniformly excellent, no matter what was printed. Text at all sizes was sharp and clear, as it should be with a laser printer. Colors looked particularly good on pages with heavy color graphics. Even an 8x10 photo printed out on plain paper looked remarkably good. Monochrome pages had good, deep blacks, unlike some others I've seen where there's an almost greenish hue to black graphics.
The single paper tray handles only 150 sheets. That's disappointing for an office laser printer, especially when the fax has a 250-page memory. Even more disappointing is that duplex printing is manual rather than built in, and I couldn't locate an available duplexer on HP's site, which would suggest that it's not even an option. HP has built an "Eco-Print" mode into its software to help you save paper by duplex printing; but if you've got to open the paper tray each time and flip pages, it's much less likely to happen.
Happily, there was little page curl even on graphics-laden pages. That's great news because page curl can really make a finished product look amateurish.
The CM1415fnw has a few very helpful features. Its touchscreen is very large (3.5 inches), colorful, and easy to use. Wireless was easy to get going and the printer had no issues in connecting to my wireless network. Wired networking and USB 2.0 connectivity is also possible.
One thing to keep in mind about this printer is that it is enormous and weighs in at around 50 lbs. So make sure you have a dedicated corner to put it in (and a helper to assist you with getting the box inside).