1. Computing

Refilling Inkjet Cartridges at Costco or Walgreens

By January 10, 2010

Costco, through its 1-hour photo service, offers refills of inkjet cartridges from HP, Lexmark, and Dell printers (Walgreens offers a similar service for $12.99 that includes Okidata, Sharp, and Xerox printers as well). Depending on the type of inkjet cartridge, a refill will cost $7.99 or $9.99--a significant savings from buying a new cartridge, and Costco estimates you can refill the same cartridge 5-10 times. Some printers may indicate that the cartridge is not filled completely, but this, Costco says, is because some printer ink indicators were not made with refills (as opposed to replacements) in mind. The service is not available at every Costco or Walgreens store. If you've tried this refill service, let us know how it worked, and if you found it a good deal.

Comments
January 13, 2010 at 7:15 am
(1) terrybracken says:

I tried Walgreen’s and failed: they do not service the #901 ink cartridge for my HP Officejet J4550 all-in-one.

January 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(2) Mike says:

Costco supports the HP 901 cartridge and with good results

March 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm
(3) Ryan says:

Costco refilled 4 color and 3 black cartridges (HP 74 & 75 XL’s) for me in under an hour and all of them have been fantastic. Highly recommend.

April 11, 2010 at 8:18 pm
(4) Dana says:

I tried getting my HP cartridge refilled at Costco – results are mixed. Some pages print great, others only print the top part of the page and remainder fades out or doesn’t print at all.

April 15, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(5) Jack says:

Costco refill gives incompatble cartridge for black on J4680

April 15, 2010 at 6:02 pm
(6) JIM says:

I have taken four (4) different empty Lexmark cartridges to Walgreen’s for refill, and have been told all four (4) cartridges were damaged and could not be refilled.

April 15, 2010 at 6:42 pm
(7) Robert Marcos says:

I paid about $18 to have Costco refill my HP 74 and 75 cartridges. After installation neither of them would work. The printer indicated that the cartridges were empty.

April 21, 2010 at 8:35 pm
(8) Pattic says:

I had Walgreens fill a black HP 2110 & it lasted several months. Then 4 months ago I had a TriColor for the printer filled and that’s how long it lasted. I’m glad I wrote it down. I don’t have much faith now in refills. It seems to be a hit & miss. I feel I’d be better off filling them myself. That may be the only way to save money.

April 21, 2010 at 8:47 pm
(9) MaryAnne Long says:

Had color container (HP J5750) filled at Costco. Technician said she did not think it came out right so did not charge me. Tried it anyway, and have printed at least two dozen full-color three-fold brochures for my husband SO FAR, all with consistent quality. I’ll definitely bring empty cartridges to Costco again.

April 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm
(10) C3180 Ink Cartridges says:

I will definitely give Cosctco a try. There’s a lot of money to be saved and somehow it never works when I do it myself :(

April 22, 2010 at 6:58 pm
(11) Joe says:

Earth Day special at Walgreens: all cartridge refills are just $1. Hard to believe but I went there and it’s for real.

April 22, 2010 at 7:38 pm
(12) HP Owner says:

Yeah Walgreens is running that special today but they wont refill an HP 901. The attendants plug the model number into the computer when they are taking you order and the computer tells them whether or not they can service that particular cartridge. Maybe it can be done at home as mentioned above–i dont know, I havent tried that. I dont really want to mess with it, I’ll probably end up buying a new 901 black for now.

June 22, 2010 at 6:53 pm
(13) Lil says:

I’ve had mixed results with refills at Costco for HP 45 and 78. Problems will show up immediately, but if they work the ink lasts quite awhile.

I returned a nonworking cartridge with the receipt. After re-testing and confirming it didn’t work, I got a refund. There was no real explanation for why it passed the first time, but I was happy to get the money back.

October 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(14) lilbobmom says:

Don’t go to Walgreens, took a color and black to get filled, brought em home and got about 10 pages of black before it was out, and my color was screwed and only printed blue. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!! I plan to just go buy new, since I am nt very trusting of the refuil option anymore.

December 1, 2010 at 6:43 am
(15) GAPE says:

Walgreens is still a good deal since they test their cartridges and won’t charge you unless they work and then only a partial fee if it was not completely empty. I had problems with my old all-in-one printer because there wasn’t a good connection. I cleaned and that helped for less than the length of 1 cartridge. Now I have a new one that uses 901 cartridges. But Walgreens won’t refill them. Does anybody know why?

January 22, 2011 at 8:15 pm
(16) consumerstar says:

A new product is going to hit shelves soon called free ink 4 life.. Its a refill kit you do yourself .. You can buy it now online its a great deal and easy and clean to use. check it out its from company called accubrite (Greene Concepts)

February 12, 2011 at 7:30 pm
(17) Costcorefill says:

I took HP and Office Max brand cartridges to Costco on a busy Saturday. They wouldn’t refill the Office Max cartridge for HP. An hour later I picked up the HP cartridge. Not the same one I dropped off. You do get a refilled HP cartridge (brand name), but not necessarily yours. They didn’t have the time to refill them on a busy Saturday and didn’t want to swap my Office Max for an HP. Next week, somebody that drops off an HP won’t want the Office Max. I think they refill them when the counter is slower. That’s ok I suppose. If the cartridge does degrade with each refill, you could get one that has been refilled 4 times before. If you care, mark your cartridge discretely with a Exacto or needle on the black body. See if you get yours back.

June 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm
(18) John L says:

Had my HP cartridge refilled today at Costco and now my printer won’t work. It has a message that the cartridge is empty. I did the same with the color one and it works fine.

August 22, 2011 at 11:21 pm
(19) Erap Kurap says:

Try to reset the catridge chip; check out this e-how website – http://www.ehow.com/how_6067166_reset-expired-hp-print-cartridge.html.

December 15, 2011 at 10:42 am
(20) Amber says:

My brother in law works with printers and remanufactured ink, if your printer will not recognise one or the other, do the black first close and then add color, you can reverse this if need be but sometimes it will only recognize one unless done one at a time. Hope this helps

December 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(21) Dell Printer Cartridges, Dell Cartridges, Genuine Cartridges, OEM Printer Cartridges, Recycled Cartridges, Recycled Printer Cartridges says:

My brother recommended I might like this website. He used to be totally right. This post actually made my day. You can not consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

January 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm
(22) Doug says:

Walgreens is getting rid of their ink refilling machines. Cartridge World has always been able to fill the majority of what Walgreens couldn’t.

Bring your empties to CARTRIDGE WORLD and we’ll refill them for you!

March 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm
(23) bruce says:

I have had nothing but problems with my 901 cartridge refills from Costco. I have had my HP 4500 for a couple of years & problem free but since refilling at Costco nothing but headaches. Continual “Printer Cartridge Problems” screens appear and after repeated coaxing, opening doors, resetting the cartridge it will eventually print..until the next time.

March 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm
(24) J says:

Just filled ink cartridge at Costco for Lexmark printer. The printing is good,however it still shows that it is empty on printer. Good value.

April 5, 2012 at 3:56 am
(25) Mike says:

Hi There,

if you have problems with refilled catriges, you should try to reset them. It helped on my problems :-)

April 5, 2012 at 9:54 am
(26) Alex says:

I’ve refilled #3 lexmark cartriges at both stores. The ones filled Walgreens lasted longer than the ones filled at Costco.

April 10, 2012 at 8:19 am
(27) Steve says:

Walgreens worked well on HP 94 Black Ink Cartridge. I had the same cartridge filled 2x with good results.